Multinational and extensive, Hitachi, Ltd. is a very old company that is part of the even broader DKB Group. Hitachi itself acts in many areas of global business, including IT systems, financial services, electronics, and more. It is a publicly held company on the Tokyo Stock Exchange and rates as 38th in the Fortune list of Global 500 companies.
Starting as an "in house" venture by a Japanese mining company, Hitachi was brought to life by Namihei Odaira in 1910. At that time, the electrical engineer produced the country's first electric induction motor that was used strictly for copper mining.
Within a few years, however, Odaira decided to expand his company and set out for Tokyo. He chose to name his new business using two Japanese kanji characters for the name - "hi" for sun and "tachi" for rise - and Hitachi was born.
From such humble beginnings, the company has expanded into a global entity. It has many divisions and subsidiaries that include Consulting, Data Systems, Electronics, Plant Technologies, Rail, Koki (manufacturing tools), and Hitachi Works.
Its principles are simple: "Contribute to society through the development of superior, original technology and products." And Hitachi seeks to do this through a three-pronged philosophy which places an emphasis on harmony, sincerity, and pioneering spirit.
Though such a giant corporate enterprise, Hitachi recognizes the tremendous value of individual input and initiative. This is the foundational approach to success, and Hitachi is fully committed to "promoting the limitless potential of each individual" through their cooperative and open approach to innovation.
This philosophical and yet pointed approach to conducting business is the underlying cause for such successful enterprises. Today, Hitachi is involved in:
* Consumer products and digital media - A/C units, LCD projectors, optical disk drives, refrigerators, washing machines, plasma and LCD TVs, and the Hitachi Magic Wand product
* IT systems - telecommunications equipment, servers, software, ATMs, mainframe computers, outsourcing services, system integration and disk array systems
* Energy/Power systems - power plants (nuclear, thermal and hydroelectric), wind power systems
* Components and devices - batteries, LCDs, disk drives, information storage
* Infrastructural systems - escalators, railway systems, industrial machines, elevators
* Electronics - medical tools, power tools, LCD systems, testing machines, semiconductors
* Automotive - drive control systems, engine systems, car information systems, and electric powertrain systems
* Construction - loaders, dump trucks, cranes, and excavators
* Materials and components - copper products, magnetic materials, specialty steel, circuit boards, wires and cables, and semiconductor display materials
* Finance - Loans and leasing
With so many business segments, it is easy to understand why Hitachi maintains so many divisions or subsidiaries. However, they are also actively exploring acquisitions and mergers, as well. Some of their latest and most impressive include the acquisition of Horizon Nuclear Power and a merger with Mistubishi Heavy Industries.
Naturally, with activities in energy and industry, it is important to consider if Hitachi keeps up its high standards where the environment is concerned.
A summary review of their vision and programs proves that they are more than meeting any expectations where environmental responsibility is concerned. In fact, the company is making it clear that their commitment to quality spills over equally on their environmental policies and initiatives as it does in simply growing their business.
* They have designed lithium-ion batteries for hybrid vehicles, an integrated immobilization nitrogen removal process, a 2000kw wind power system, amorphous core transformers, and an array of high functional materials.
* The firm has environmental activities and goals for each continent in which it has a presence. In Europe the company is actively working to protect honey bees, reduce water use, and implement an advanced distribution center. In China they are planting trees, recycling water, and creating a decentrification catalyst plant. They are also creating thermal power plants, cutting emissions, recycling, and more.
Hitachi started in one of the humblest ways possible, and it has grown substantially in just over a century. It is involved in almost all areas of business and maintains responsibility to its customers and to the world in general.
As a trusted name in innovation and technology, it continues to thrive and evolve to meet market needs and remains a leading company in many parts of the world.
Hitachi.com. Hitachi Group Identity. Hitachi.com. 2014.